Monday 31 August 2009

... another enjoyable evening !

Well it looks like this blog is going to be a morning-after blog rather than a night-before blog ! Somehow 6pm and the closing of the office for the night creeps up on me and then I don't have time, and although I take the computer up to the room each night, I don't actually plug it in so ...

Anyway, what happened yesterday. Well, play got under way, the office got into full swing ready for today's Executive Council meetings so the photocopier was humming all day.

I was very sad to hear of the death of Peter Czerniewski - I didn't know him well, but the dealings I had with him were always a great pleasure and I am sure anyone reading this will wish to join me in sending sincere condolences to Pam, his wife and his family. He will be much missed in the bridge World. I am also told that Masud Saleem of Pakistan has died after a long illness. He used to partner Zia Mahmood and was, I am told, a national hero in the Pakistan bridge world.

In the evening, Jimmy Ortiz-Patino, the President Emeritus of the World Bridge Federation invited us to a cocktail party for the opening of his antique Card Exhibition - he has one of the greatest collections of antique playing cards in the world, and it was completely fascinating ... cards from the 15th Century onwards all beautifully displayed in glass cabinets. We had a good look round but I for one will certainly be going back to have another look and examine some of them more closely.

Then into the Piano Bar for a bite to eat and so to bed ... (isn't Samual Pepys useful!)

No comments: