Friday 17 October 2008

Down to the Wire

The WBF official photographer, Ron Tacchi came to our office today (he manged to find a quiet moment which was nothing short of a miracle) and took a picture of the 3 of us for your education and delight !! 

As you look at it, Carol is on the left, Christine in the middle and I am on the right ... normally Christine sits at the desk at the back, but she joined us for the "photo shoot"

It has actually been an incredibly busy day ... having expected it to be fairly quiet but how wrong can you be ! First of all there was a meeting and we had to rush around getting the air conditioning switched off so they could hear themselves think, never mind speak ! Then get it put back on again - the Chinese Organisers think we are quite mad !!

Then there were the speeches to prepare - three of them, and the documents to transfer to memory sticks for the members of the Executive to take home instead of the great heavy files they normally have to lug back. The invitations for the Closing Ceremonyhad to be collected, and distributed. All our machines to back up, each to the other so we are all sure to have all the documents we need (and for security!). We all have individual back up devices of course but there is nothing like being a bit paranoid for safety!

We managed to escape all three of us for lunch which was nice - normally it is a sandwich in the office - but today we went to the restaurant together for a change

Then back to the office and a constant stream of people with questions about different things while we tried to pack up and destroy all the papers that we no longer need - such a full bin we have!!

But no chance of getting fully packed up - we will be back tomorrow morning I have no doubt. 

It isn't often I actually watch bridge on internet but the matches this evening are actually quite exciting. I will probably have to finish and upload this before the end, but of course all the results, bulletins etc are on the World Bridge Federation Site, and you can find all the bidding and play records etc here

You may (or may not) hear from me tomorrow - just depends how the day pans out - but you can think of us tonight at the medal ceremony, and then the Closing Ceremony is tomorrow evening and I fly back to England, home and beauty on Sunday ... where Mark will pick me up from the airport and in the evening my daughter Vickie & son in law Nick are coming over complete with supper so we don't have to worry about cooking. A glass of wine or two and I will tell them ALL about it! Unfortunately my grand daughter Jasmine is away, so I will have to wait until next week to see her. I am very much looking forward to seeing everyone again - I have missed them all so much.  Next weekend my younger daughter, Catherine, and her Mark (who have just got engaged to my delight) are coming up to discuss wedding plans, and so life will get back to normal ... lovely !

But even if I don't contact you tomorrow, I will be in touch soon no doubt so ... watch this space!



No comments: