Monday 1 October 2007

Phew what a day!

It has been a strange day here - I overslept slightly which didn't help (only until 07.30 but still a bit later than I intended), so didn't get into the office until about 8.30. There seemed to be all sorts of bits and pieces that needed dealing with - players coming with changes to their systems, work to do on the new Laws, entries for the transnational teams coming in ... all sorts of things. The WBF Meetings got underway, so Carol disappeared into the meeting room for the day to take the minutes, and Christine and I were left to hold the fort in the office. Somehow I don't seemed to have stopped all day, but as it has all been "bitty" things I don't feel I have a lot to show for it, but I suppose it was reasonably productive on the whole.

As far as I can tell, play is going smoothly - we are on the 3rd floor of the conference centre and play is on the ground floor - you can't even hear the hum of noise when the players start to come as we are quite isolated up here. The Bulletin room is opposite the office, with the editors coming and going, but the Press room is across the corridor and we don't even hear them ! We are kept well supplied with coffee by the organisation - I am going to be bouncing off the walls tonight I think, I have drunk so much caffeine !

Last night I worked late, helping with the bulletin, but after that I went with one of the Tournament Directors up to the Moon Bar, which is fabulous with great views over the river, where you can see the lights of Shanghai - it was beautiful and we sat up there with friends and took it all in. Tonight I have been invited to dinner with the President of the Zone 6 Bridge Federation and am really looking forward to that.

Tomorrow I will try and get out and about with the camera a little bit, if I have time.

No comments: