Saturday 4 October 2008

Let the play begin!

Well, we are underway ! All the Championships have started. 

As I finished my blog last night, I was leaving for the Opening Ceremony - now I would be the first to admit that Opening Ceremonies are ... not my favourites! But last night was really excellent. 

First of all, the Open, Women's and Senior Teams were hosted to a Welcome Cocktail in the hotel, which was most enjoyable and then we (i.e. all staff and officials) went on a slightly chaotic bus ride through Beijing to the National Indoor Sports Arena for the Youth Teams Opening Ceremony.

First of all, there was a parade of flag bearers for each competing country - 143 of them, with delegates from the five Mind Sports represented here in Beijing. Most of them were carried by Junior players from bridge, many in National Dress and it was lovely ... the youngest was 13 years old! Then there were, of course, the speeches, and after that some great dancing, which I thoroughly enjoyed ... I confess that the symbolism of some of it was lost on me but it was lovely all the same. And then there was a special ceremony with a representative from each continent bringing a container of water, the source of life, and pouring it into a container to show harmony between nations. All very well done. Then back to the hotel for a bite to eat and so, in the words of the great Dr Johnson, to bed!

This morning was fairly hectic, with all the teams arriving in droves but play started on time and is going well as far as I can tell (though to be honest I rarely get through into the playing area!). It is lovely and peaceful when play starts though ... they all sit down and silence descends.

My plan is for a quiet evening tonight - the Executive Meetings start tomorrow and I am hoping for an even more peaceful time so that I can get the Transnational Entries done (otherwise someone is going to kill me !)

Watch this space ... there will be more

No comments: