Wednesday 8 October 2008

Another blue sky day ...

It looked glorious out of the windows this morning - brilliant blue skies after all the rain yesterday. Everyone is hoping it will be nice again tomorrow as it is a free day for the players and I know a lot have trips planned to places like the Great Wall.

For us it is the big Meeting - the WBF Meeting of Congress, attended by delegates from all the countries present, and followed by a cocktail. It takes a lot of organising and we are going to be running around from quite early in the morning I expect ! Carol has been photocopying agendas and papers all day, and we have all been working on making sure everyone knows about it.

As it is the 50th Anniversary of the WBF we will be showing some wonderful old photographs of the players as a slide show - you can see some of them by clicking here (you will need to download and install Silverlight) as Mark has done a special Deep Zoom application with them. We are running the slideshow on a computer here in the office, and it is fascinating to see the pictures!

After some initial problems of the computers not talking to each other properly and thus not displaying all the scores, this seems to have been sorted out finally, and that side of things is running smoothly. The noise levels in the corridors between sessions is rising as the players get more excited because of the tension ! You hear them coming with very animated discussions going on about who should have bid or played what differently :-) I am so glad I don't play any more !

The time differences are disconcerting  as Mark only comes on line in the afternoon local time, but it is early in England ... my daughter Vick and son in law Nick come on channel at about the same time and we all have a nice natter (Vick is a dance teacher and one of my favourite things is to see her and my granddaughter dancing ...) through MSN. Then come about mid day their time it is time for me to think about closing the lid and going off to get some food and a night's sleep! It seems very strange.

So - it is 6.30 pm now, and I am going to stop, do a little bit more work (having messed up an important import into the main database, I have had to delete all the records I imported and do it all again, so annoying and so very stupid). Once that is done I am going to stop for the day ..

more tomorrow ...



No comments: